We have many years of experience with a range of reptile species and provide a full first opinion and referral service for them including:
- Vets and nurses with further qualifications in reptile medicine.
- Diagnostic endoscopy, X-rays and ultrasound.
- Separate hospitalisation facilities with thermostatically controlled enclosures and specific diets appropriate to each species.
- Specialist anaesthetic equipment, soft tissue and orthopaedic surgery.
- Pre and post hibernation checks for tortoises.
- Faecal sampling.
- Post purchase exams and annual health checks.
- Second opinions and referrals.
Thinking of getting a reptile?
The most important things to note when considering a reptile are:
- Do your background research on the environmental requirements, feeding, behaviour and natural characteristics of your desired species. Use multiple resources and references and do not rely on one source of information, particularly on the internet.
- Invest in the correct equipment for keeping your chosen pet. This is usually many times more than the cost of the animal itself. Many of the diseases and medical conditions we see are due to incorrect environment and feeding.
- Buy from a good source. Beware of classified adverts!
- Have your animal checked by an experienced reptile vet after you buy it. This also gives us the opportunity to make husbandry changes before problems develop.
- Consider pet insurance. Most disease investigations involve laboratory tests, radiography and taking other samples. These tests, which are often essential for your pet’s well-being, can be expensive.